The National Geographic magazine is known for its high quality photographs taken by the award-winning photographers. As a resource for budding photographers in SST, the Media Club teacher, Mr Fong is considering having the National Geographic magazines made available to students.
To make the purchase, he has to make a proposal to the department to justify that he has identified the best deal for the school. He could go to the newstand to buy the magazine every month or subscribe the magazine at the annual basis.
B. Available Information (Resources)
- Information published at the website of the National Geographic Store (Singapore Vivocity branch)
- Information published at the National Geographic website
- EmitAsia subscription information for National Geographic Magazine
C. Leading Questions
Using the following format, help Mr Fong to put down his recommendation, together the necessary justifications for the best deal.
1. At the National Geographic Store, which is a better deal - To buy the magazine personally at the store or subscribe from the store? Why?
2. At the National Geographic Website, it charges $76 for 12 issues. How much does the subscriber pay for each issue? Is it giving a better or worse off deal compared to the store?
3. Based on the information at "EmitAsia",
(a) how much does one save for each issue if it is purchased through subscription?
(b) how much discount (in percent) does one actually save if purchased through subscription?
4. Put forward your recommendation.
E.g. We recommend Mr Fong to purchase personnal/ subscribe through the National Geographic Store/ Online subscription/ at the newstand because, by this mode of purchase because he is going to pay ..... (describe the amount he pays for each mode of purchase, hence do a comparison)
[it is important that you are able to justify your decision?]
E. Process and Challenges
5. When making the comparisons, what will be key to your decision making?
6. What are the challenges do you encounter?
courtesy of and adapted from Ms Loh KY